GnuCash and Swedish accounting legislation

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 04:28:34 EST 2016

On 18 January 2016 at 08:18, Draug <draug at kolabnow.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For quite a while I've used GnuCash for the accounting of my company, but
> recently I've come to question if it's legal to use GnuCash for that
> purpose. According to Swedish accounting legislation, you are not allowed to
> use accounting software that allows you to edit registered transactions
> (where they use Excel as an example), which to my knowledge is quite easy to
> do in GnuCash, even after reconcilation. Swedish accounting legislation
> requires that every mistake is corrected with another transaction, and that
> the mistake is left intact in the records.

Are you sure that the legislation requires that the s/w does not allow
it, and not just that you have documented procedures that do not allow
it?

Colin

> Is there anything that I've missed that makes it possible to use GnuCash in
> accordance with Swedish law? I really want to avoid switching to some
> proprietary, cloud-based accounting software that costs $12 a month to use.

As a matter of interest which s/w were you thinking of that does not
allow modification under any circumstances, including, for example
restoring a backup and re-entering the transaction that way, or
hacking the database itself.

Colin