GnuCash and Swedish accounting legislation

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Tue Jan 19 08:36:00 EST 2016

On 1/19/2016 1:32 AM, Pedro Albuquerque wrote:
> Ter, 2016-01-19 às 07:46 +1100, Liz escreveu:
>
> Anyway, about the topic, here business softwares have to be online
> with the tax authority. Almost everything done is automatically
> registered in their machines. So, GC is extremely useful to keep our
> own private records, but can't be officially used. Regards, Pedro.

THAT would be a proper example of "cannot be altered"  << no access to
the programs or data >> THAT is the sort of thing it takes.

It is of course possible (likely even) that the Swedish legislators
meant just "can't be altered by the end user". The problem with that, of
course, is depends entirely on the skill and knowledge limitations of
the end user. We can be wearing multiple hats. For example, were I in
Sweden, and having a business to report for tax purposes, I would be for
that purpose an "end user", so supposedly required to use a software
program such that I could not alter the data. But I also happen to be a
person who has the necessary skills.

Might take a bit of research on the part of our Swedish users. Could
they look up a few businesses that are "software consultants" and ask
what accounting software THEY are allowed to use  since although end
users, also people with the necessary skills to get around any
alteration prevention. Of course possibly the legislation is interpreted
in such a way as to mean "you exceptions to the concept will be trusted
not to do that" << use software with protection against alteration by
ordinary users and not use your abilities to get around that >>

Michael