Gnucash won't open

Robert Kesterson robertk at robertk.com
Thu Jan 21 07:30:19 EST 2016

I’m not sure what you mean by attempts to verify, but GnuCash should
run just fine on OS/X (though not on iOS, but I assume that’s a typo
if you’re running on a Macbook Pro, which runs OS/X).

Here’s what I’d do:

First, open your system preferences and hit “security and privacy”.
Then hit “general”.  At the bottom should be a section that says
“Allow apps downloaded from:” with three choices.  Make sure the
“Mac App Store and identified developers” option is selected.  (If
the three choices are visible but disabled, you may need to unlock the
screen to make any changes.  Just click the lock in the lower left
corner and enter your password when it prompts you.)  Then close the
system preferences app.   Now try again to open GnuCash.

If it still doesn’t open, try opening your applications folder in
finder, hold down the “control” key, and click the GnuCash icon.  A
shortcut menu should appear.  Choose “open”.  Then a dialog should
appear asking what you want to do.  Again click “Open”.  GnuCash
should then start.  (See Apple’s instructions on this at
https://support.apple.com/kb/ph18657 )

If even that doesn’t work, then maybe opening it from a terminal would
reveal something, but I am not sure about that.  You can open it from a
terminal by first opening the terminal app and then typing this at the
prompt:

/Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash

That assumes you installed it in /Applications, which seems likely.  You
can also open it by typing

open /Applications/Gnucash.app

in the terminal.  I don’t know if one way is better or different than
the other as far as any information it might report.

--
   Robert Kesterson
   robertk at robertk.com