A/P Register Question

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Jan 21 10:27:40 EST 2016

Hi Joseph,

Joseph Pellegrino <jdpellegrino at comcast.net> writes:

> Thanks Derek,
>
> Is it possible to go from this:
>
> T	Ref		 Payment
> P	Payment	   1
> P	Payment	   5
> P	Payment	 10
>
> To this:
>
> T	Ref		 Payment
> P	Payment	   16

Sure.  Pay only a single invoice!

If you are paying multiple invoices at the same time then you need
individual splits in your A/P account, one split for each invoice you're
paying.

> and only see the the individual payments opening the split?  I like
> that the "Lot Links" have been changed but it seems they’ve just been
> replaced by “Payment" entries and it still makes for a cluttered
> transaction window. I think ideally the entry would look like the what
> I have above and opening the split would show us the individual
> entries preferably each of those entries would have info pointing to
> the specific invoice..

It's less cluttered for multiple reasons.  In particular in the COMMON
case of a 1:1 mapping of payment <-> invoice then you only require a
single entry in A/R (versus three entries).  The in UNCOMMON case of
paying multiple invoices with a single payment then you still have a
reduction in the number of entries in the A/R account, but you do need a
split-per-invoice and that will never change.

Enjoy!

-derek