A/P Register Question

Joseph Pellegrino jdpellegrino at comcast.net
Sat Jan 23 10:58:16 EST 2016

> On Jan 21, 2016, at 10:27 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:
>
> Hi Joseph,
>
> Joseph Pellegrino <jdpellegrino at comcast.net> writes:
>
>> Thanks Derek,
>>
>> Is it possible to go from this:
>>
>> T	Ref		 Payment
>> P	Payment	   1
>> P	Payment	   5
>> P	Payment	 10
>>
>> To this:
>>
>> T	Ref		 Payment
>> P	Payment	   16
>
> Sure.  Pay only a single invoice!

Ha! That’s not quite what I had in mind. Paying them individually would result in the same cluttered look I am trying to avoid.

> If you are paying multiple invoices at the same time then you need
> individual splits in your A/P account, one split for each invoice you're
> paying.

I get that I am just trying to understand why the splits can’t be hidden under the total value of the transaction. If I make a deposit, for example, the entry in the register is the value of the total deposit and if the deposit consisted of more than one individual element, say two checks, I’d have to click on the ‘split’ button to reveal that. That’s what I am looking for in the A/P.  So like described above:

T	Ref			Payment
P	Payment	   	16

click on ‘split’

T	Ref		 Payment
P	Payment	   1
P	Payment	   5
P	Payment	 10

>> and only see the the individual payments opening the split?  I like
>> that the "Lot Links" have been changed but it seems they’ve just been
>> replaced by “Payment" entries and it still makes for a cluttered
>> transaction window. I think ideally the entry would look like the what
>> I have above and opening the split would show us the individual
>> entries preferably each of those entries would have info pointing to
>> the specific invoice..
>
> It's less cluttered for multiple reasons.  In particular in the COMMON
> case of a 1:1 mapping of payment <-> invoice then you only require a
> single entry in A/R (versus three entries).  The in UNCOMMON case of
> paying multiple invoices with a single payment then you still have a
> reduction in the number of entries in the A/R account, but you do need a
> split-per-invoice and that will never change.

I’d say it’s slightly less cluttered. There are, I think, two less entries per transactions but the Lot Links were replaced with the Payments.