Trouble with OFX and my bank, Kinecta Federal Credit Union

David Reiser dbreiser at icloud.com
Tue Jan 26 00:27:06 EST 2016

> On Jan 25, 2016, at 8:42 PM, Bill De La Vega <billdlv81 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello I am using version 2.6.11  rev f67faa2+ on my Mac (10.10.5).  I am
> getting the following error when I try and setup accounts for OFX.
>
> When I setup a new user, I go through the process and the first connection
> looks like this.
>
> 17:37:15 Retrieving SSL certificate
> 17:37:15 Connecting to server...
> 17:37:15 Using old SSL preparation code.
> 17:37:16 TLS: SSL-Ciphers negotiated: TLS1.2:RSA-AES-128-CBC:SHA256
> 17:37:16 TLS: Warning - The server has chosen unsafe SSL-Ciphers!
> 17:37:16 Connected.
> 17:38:17 Disconnected.
> 17:38:17 Connection ok, certificate probably received
> 17:38:17 Operation finished, you can now close this window.
>
> For the next step, when I try and retrieve the accounts list, I get the
> following.
>
> 17:39:12 Sending request...
> 17:39:12 Using old SSL preparation code.
> 17:39:13 TLS: SSL-Ciphers negotiated: TLS1.2:RSA-AES-128-CBC:SHA256
> 17:39:13 TLS: Warning - The server has chosen unsafe SSL-Ciphers!
> 17:39:13 Waiting for response...
> 17:39:13 Parsing response...
> 17:39:13 Parsing response
> 17:39:13 Status for signon request: Signon invalid (Code 15500, severity
> "ERROR")
> The user cannot signon because he or she entered an invalid user ID or
> password.
> 17:39:13 Status for account info request: Signon invalid (Code 15500,
> severity "ERROR")
> The user cannot signon because he or she entered an invalid user ID or
> password.
> 17:39:13 Operation finished, you can now close this window.
>
> I have tried using my pin instead of my password, I get the same result.  I
> have confirmed that I can access my account using the same credentials via
> the bank's website.
>
> When I contacted the bank, they said they don't support gnu cash (no
> surprise there).  From what I have read so far online, several people claim
> to be able to access this bank.  If I try and add an account manually, I
> get the same type of error.
>
> Thanks,
> Bill

I recommend looking at an ofx log of an attempted connection.

Quit GnuCash
Open a Terminal.app window and type (copy and paste works as long as the command doesn’t get broken up by an email client)

export AQOFX_LOG_COMM=1; /Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash
[return]

After GnuCash finishes launching, attempt an ofx connection. After the error occurs, open the file

/private/tmp/ofx.log

and see if there is any further explanation of the 15500 error message. The ofx.log is likely to be hidden. So if you have trouble finding it, then go back to Terminal.app and type

cp /private/tmp/ofx.log ~/Desktop
[return]

Then ofx.log will appear on your Desktop. If GnuCash is still running, you’ll have to open a new terminal window/tab to be able to enter the cp command.

Don’t leave that ofx.log file laying around, though, since it will have your login ID AND PASSWORD in plain text. Rebooting the computer will delete ofx.log from /private/tmp (but not the one on your desktop).

If you keep the terminal-launched copy of gnucash running, any further ofx connection attempts will be appended to the ofx.log file in /private/tmp. Quit GnuCash and relaunch by double clicking the app icon to quit ofx logging.

Dave
--
Dave Reiser
dbreiser at icloud.com