Problems with file sharing

Graham Stoddart-Stones gstones at pacifera.com
Tue Jan 26 08:27:14 EST 2016

James/Brian:

We have run Gnucash on a Linux virtual machine for many years. The file locking works fine, although there are regular emails flying around our company pleading with one person who has gone home in the UK (we are a multi-national) to log out of Gnucash so that the US people can get on with their entries!

Another route that Windows users may wish to consider is putting the system on Microsoft's One Drive. We find that very useful, but again with the caveat that users must update the cloud chronologically, else transactions go missing if a later user overwrites a file before an earlier user has closed their files (thereby updating the cloud copy). Unfortunately, there is no Linux app for One Drive, so this is restricted to Windows and Mac users, but with care, it is very successful.

In short, the system works fine for multiple users accessing the same data files, whether on a network drive or a virtual machine. The file locking means that you have to establish a procedure that ensures that each user closes gnucash on completion.

Hope this helps!

Graham