Online quotes works for stock but not for currencies

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Wed Jul 6 00:24:18 EDT 2016

> On Jul 5, 2016, at 8:24 PM, Plutocrat <plutocrat at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi James
>
> James E wrote on Tuesday, 05 July, 2016 09:40 PM:
>
>> I have also read that  "  sudo gnc-fq-update  "  may help .
>> Do you agree?
>
> Not sure where that comes from. gnc-fq-update doesn't seem to exist on my system.
> If you're trying to get the latest version, "sudo apt-get update" followed by "sudo apt-get upgrade" will update all the software on your computer which is never a bad idea. And  you should definitely do that before you upgrade, if you decide to.

Plutocrat,

gnc-fq-update is one of the perl scripts that are GnuCash's interface to Finance::Quote. It should be installed in the appropriate bin directory (usually /usr/bin on Linux/BSD). There are GUI wrappers provided in the Win32 and Mac OS X all-in-one bundles, "Install Online Quotes" and "Update Finance Quote", respectively. If it's really not on your system and you need Finance Quote you need to have a chat with the GnuCash packager for your distro.

James,

Yes, as a first step you absolutely should use gnc-fq-update to bring your Finance::Quote up to date. The current version is 1.38. Nearly all of the changes since 1.17 have been to keep up with changes to the various websites from which it gets data.

You can also get more recent versions of GnuCash from getdeb: http://www.getdeb.net/software/gnucash, though the best they can do for 12.04LTS is 2.6.3. That's better than 2.4.10 but still not great.

Regards,
John Ralls