GNUCash 'Credit Notes

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Sun Jul 10 05:27:36 EDT 2016

On Saturday 09 July 2016 18:19:17 Keith D. Fletcher via gnucash-user wrote:
> Ladies, Gentlemen,
>
> I am somewhat confused on the process of raising a credit note. From
> the various documentations that I have read it states that one should
> use an invoice to complete this task. I know that this may sound
> stupid but by raising another invoice are you not once again adding
> to your A/R? Do you enter negative values? If someone could please
> provide me with an idiot's guide that would be awesome.
>
> Thank you for you time,
> Gloriana
>
> I have GNUCash 2.6.5

Hi Gloriana,

The process of creating a credit note is as follows:
- Select Business -> Customer -> New Invoice...
- In the window that pops up, click on Credit Note and fill in the other fields as usual

That will create a proper credit note and will decrease the AR instead of increasing it.

The menu name is what's causing the confusion. It allows to create either an invoice or a
credit note. It should be changed to reflect this new capability, or the menu item should should
be split in two.

Regards,

Geert