Imbalance account

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Thu Jul 14 20:35:55 EDT 2016

On 7/14/2016 12:20 PM, Pete Haworth wrote:
> That's the strange thing.  On the same date as the Imbalance entry there is
> a separate transaction with splits, one of which is for the same amount as
> the Imbalance transaction but to a genuine account.  That transaction is
> balanced.
>
> It feels like I should delete the Imbalance account transaction.  I can
> always add it back if it causes bad things to happen.
>
> Pete
Absolutely go back and reread the tutorial. You are simply not getting
the fundamentals of double entry bookkeeping.

It might not be THAT transaction (the split to which you refer and say
is in balance and has a line for the same amount properly assigned to an
account. But there must be SOME transaction you entered somewhere(in
some account)  which had that amount but for which you failed to specify
the other account.

Go to that transaction in Imbalance. What does it say is the other
account? Go to that account and find the transaction (it will have
IMBALANCE as its "other account". THAT is where you should make the
correction (specify an account) or delete the transaction << if this was
a partially entered transaction that you abandoned but then entered
correctly, say with that split >>

Michael D Novack