Tracking Projects

Katie Eldridge eldridgetideswell-katie at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jul 15 05:36:27 EDT 2016

On 14/07/16 17:21, Pete Haworth wrote:
> Thanks. Yes that does sound like a lot of work.  I think I will just stick
> using a spreadsheet to track the concert profit/Loss.
>
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 5:06 AM Michael Hass <mh at drivedp.com> wrote:
>

>> I believe there is only one work-around, no direct solution. You have to
>> use the voucher tool and run all the expenses through an “employee”. That
>> can only post to a Payable account so if you’re using a credit card or
>> check for those expenses, you have to post those expenses to a pass-through
>> Payable and then move the balance to whatever account made the
>> disbursement. That makes reconciling a bit hard. A lot of steps.
>>

>> On Jul 13, 2016, at 5:26 PM, Pete Haworth <pete at haworths.org> wrote:
>>
>> I am the treasurer for an organization that promotes musical concerts.  Is
>> there a way for gnucash to associate income and expenses with a specific
>> concert?  Right now I keep a spreadsheet to keep track since I can't find a
>> way to do it in gnucash.  I guess it's a kind of project accounting.
>> Thanks,
>> Pete

Hi Pete,
I think this should not be quite as awkward as the suggested steps... If
you use the 'business features' you should be able to class each concert
as a 'job' (or 'client' if that makes more sense for your situation -
depends on what you mean by 'promote')...

Then each time you have expenses for that concert you mark the 'default
chargeback project' when entering the bill or expense voucher, mark the
expenses as 'Bi' - billable items; and each time you receive income for
that concert process via an invoice (even if you are not actually
issuing an invoice).  The expense items will appear on the invoice to
set against the income received, or you could use a combination of
invoices and credit notes to set off the totals.  Then you can use the
customer/job report to look at each concert.  I'm no longer working in
this field so can't check for you, so experiment first using test data,
especially if different concerts are 'promoted' on different basis...

Hope that helps,
Katie