Discretionary Member Encumbrances

Aaron Laws dartme18 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 08:57:14 EDT 2016

> On 7/14/2016 9:46 AM, Aaron Laws wrote:
>>
>>> In my personal books, my wife and I have discretionary accounts that are
>>> populated when we exercise or eat healthily. We then spend the money as
>>> we
>>> like. The money never actually moves from our checking account until it's
>>> spent. How should I be accounting for this in my books? For the two
>>> transaction types: populating the discretionary account and spending
>>> money
>>> from that discretionary account, how should they look? What type of
>>> account
>>> should the discretionary account be? Thanks!

Another suggestion I received is to create a liability:Discretionary. When
money is "earned" into the discretionary pile, the transaction looks like
this:

expense:exercise rewards      5
          Discretionary                              5

And when money is spent from it:

Discretionary                 5
             Credit card                     5

This has the added benefit of not hitting other expense accounts ("junk
food" in my previous example). What are everyone's thoughts on this? Thanks
again!