Discretionary Member Encumbrances

Wm tcnw81 at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Mon Jul 18 09:06:37 EDT 2016

On Fri, 15 Jul 2016 08:57:14 -0400, in gmane.comp.gnome.apps.gnucash.user,
Aaron Laws <dartme18 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Another suggestion I received is to create a liability:Discretionary. When
> money is "earned" into the discretionary pile, the transaction looks like
> this:
>
> expense:exercise rewards      5
>           Discretionary                              5
>
> And when money is spent from it:
>
> Discretionary                 5
>              Credit card                     5
>
> This has the added benefit of not hitting other expense accounts ("junk
> food" in my previous example). What are everyone's thoughts on this? Thanks
> again!

Currency XXX works well and is meant for this sort of thing.  The main
benefit being you get to choose the rate at which non-monetary
healthy-points get converted to real money at the time of use thus avoiding
having to work out whether Ms's 2 marathon runs in a month are worth more
or less than you having a salad rather than a beer for lunch (or however it
works).

--
Wm