Imbalance account

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 17:32:52 EDT 2016

On 15 July 2016 at 21:40, csmbtreasurer <treasurer at celticsociety.org> wrote:
> I can assure you, I am very familiar with double entry bookkeeping and have
> used several different software accounting packages.  The whole point of my
> question is that I have no idea how this transaction appeared in my
> register.  It's possible I started to enter an imbalanced transaction and
> forgot that I did it which would explain what is going on.
>
> I'm a new user of gnucash and still getting used to how it works but I will
> say that all the other accounting packages I've used don't allow an
> unbalanced transaction to be entered which I think is the way gnucash should
> work.

Since you have not quoted the previous message nobody knows which
message you are replying to so they don't know who the 'you' that you
refer to is.  You did the same on the other posts you have just made.
This is a mailing list not a forum (though you may be accessing it via
a forum-like interface).

Gnucash does not allow the entry of an imbalanced transaction, it
added a matching entry in the imbalance account specifically to avoid
that possibility.

Colin