Tracking cash

Wm tcnw81 at tarrcity.demon.co.uk
Wed Jul 20 08:58:31 EDT 2016

On Tue, 19 Jul 2016 22:23:30 +0000, in gmane.comp.gnome.apps.gnucash.user,
Rob Cussons <robcussons at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I wanted to track cash available in my gnucash accounts,  i.e. the sum of
> the balances of my bank accounts minus my liabilities like credit cards so
> I can see how they're developing over time. I've tried it through a couple
> of reports but it's not coming out quite right.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks!

I use Reports / Income & Expense / Cashflow

General Tab:
Start dt: Today
End dt: some time in the future, e.g. 1 or 2 months ahead

Accounts Tab: current assets + current liabilities would be the usual
choices

This works very well for me as I use scheduled transactions a lot and
generate them between 45 and 90 days ahead of time.  I also use credit
cards whenever possible and maintain the payment amount as I make purchases
so the amounts due to leave my current account to pay each card is known
well ahead of time and in the cash flow.

If your view of accounting is mainly reactive and post the event this
probably won't make as much sense.

--
Wm