Setting up an investment account

David Reiser dbreiser at icloud.com
Mon Jul 25 21:42:40 EDT 2016

Accounts can have only one commodity. So you’ll either have to make the opening balance in TSP as shares or create another account in dollars which you can then use to buy shares in the TSP account. Since your opening balance as of Jan 1 was actually shares in that account, why not record it that way? You’ll want to enter a price in the Price Editor under Tools for Jan 1 also, so that you can evaluate the balance then.

There are a couple oddities with report settings to get the reports to use the most appropriate share price (one of the reasons to add the Jan 1 price to the Price Editor).

Dave