Setting up an investment account

Elmar Schmeisser eschmeisser at nc.rr.com
Tue Jul 26 07:22:12 EDT 2016

It seems odd to have in the Opening balances list entries in both
dollars (for most of the accounts) and shares for the investment
accounts.  OTOH, I guess I could create a dummy account called something
like "investment funds" in assets, and put an opening balance dated
31DEC15 in that which sums all the funds used to buy the shares in all
the various investments (I started using GC on Jan 1 this year, so there
are no entries before 31DEC15).  Then do a buy on 01/01/2016 in the
actual investment account using some of those those funds.  Would that
work as expected?

For this particular investment, since I am retired, I can no longer buy
new shares in TSP, but I get price updates quarterly.  It doesn't seem
that I can track/graph the share price and/or total value over time in
QC if the only way to update the price is to change it in the entry, or ?

- elmar

On 7/25/2016 9:42 PM, David Reiser wrote:
> Accounts can have only one commodity. So you’ll either have to make
> the opening balance in TSP as shares or create another account in
> dollars which you can then use to buy shares in the TSP account.
> Since your opening balance as of Jan 1 was actually shares in that
> account, why not record it that way? You’ll want to enter a price in
> the Price Editor under Tools for Jan 1 also, so that you can evaluate
> the balance then.
>
> There are a couple oddities with report settings to get the reports
> to use the most appropriate share price (one of the reasons to add
> the Jan 1 price to the Price Editor).
>
> Dave

<rest snipped>