Links to documentation give blank pages

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 13:33:27 EDT 2016

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 10:19 PM, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:

> > On Jul 25, 2016, at 4:13 PM, DaveC49 <davidcousens at bigpond.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > I have just noticed the links to the Help Manual
> > (https://www.gnucash.org/viewdoc.phtml?doc=help) and the Tutorial and
> > Concepts guide (https://www.gnucash.org/viewdoc.phtml?doc=guide) on the
> > Guncash website documentation page (https://www.gnucash.org/docs.phtml)
> are
> > linking to blank pages and not bringing up the current documentation.
> >
> > I am able to download the PDF  ePub and  mobipocket versions from the
> links
> > further down the page but the links to the online pages are not currently
> > functioning. It's not just the new release as the V2.4 online links
> behave
> > similarly.
>
> Thanks. I'm not sure what's going on, but it seems to be related to https.
> http://www.gnucash.org/viewdoc.phtml?doc=help works fine. It might be
> that the links on the page for the iframe are http and while browsers used
> to put up a warning about that they've become pickier and now just block
> the content.

Confirming the "blank" behavior in Chromium (open source version of Google
Chrome) and Mozilla Firefox. Without clicking around, neither puts up more
than a tiny icon in the URL bar reporting an error.

Chromium's inspector reports this error on the frame:

Mixed Content: The page at 'https://www.gnucash.org/viewdoc.phtml?doc=help'
> was loaded over HTTPS, but requested an insecure resource '
> http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-help/help.html'. This request
> has been blocked; the content must be served over HTTPS.

Firefox's inspector reports it this way:

Blocked loading mixed active content "
> http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-help/help.html"

with a link to developer documentation:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Security/Mixed_content

Clicking the little error icon in the URL bar in Chromium complains "This
page is trying to load scripts from unauthenticated sources." If you give
it permission to load the "unsafe scripts," the page reloads with a red
slashed (warning) "https" in the URL bar, and the frame's content appears.

Firefox provides a similar procedure to allow the "unsafe" page to load.
Click the little error icon in the URL bar and give Firefox permission to
reduce the security for that page.