OFX Note Propagation

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Jul 28 22:56:50 EDT 2016

> On Jul 28, 2016, at 5:31 PM, rlaggren <rlaggren at mail.com> wrote:
>
> After searching archives I have found only this thread and it appears closely
> related to a problem I have. I hope it's OK to bump the thread and keep the
> topic consolidated.
>
> I download OFX files from several banks in preference to jumping through
> hoops and "signing up" for (and sometimes paying extra) for their live
> accounting software updates. After importing I find that most/all of the
> transactions have their "Note" field filled w/useless generic info starting
> w/"OFX"; it even includes the word "generic". From the above discussion and
> examination of the OFX files it appears the gnucash is doing this.
>
> How do I stop this auto-fill of imported OFX file transactions? For me the
> text contains zero useful info and causes useage problems.

Autofill and import are completely different. Autofill operates when you're creating a new transaction interactively, completing the transaction based on the most recent transaction that matches what you've typed so far into the description field.

> The fill bothers me in a couple of ways: 1) By filling the double line
> register listing w/clutter it makes it a joke as far as easily viewing
> _relavant_ Info; 2) There seems to be info from the bank that appears in
> some transactions (eg. source info for debit card and credit card trans) and
> while apparently not over written, this info is pushed to the end of the
> field and is not visible in the registry listing.

It's there to capture all of the information that might be included in an OFX file that GnuCash doesn't use directly, I suppose on the theory that it might be useful. It does seem reasonable to me that it could be made optional to record it.

> Is there any config files to adjust? Is there any easily located block of
> code I could comment out, recompile and lose this Fill function of the
> Import system? Cleaning up trash from  4 or 5 files (various different
> accounts) of 10 - 100 items each month makes for serious "not-happy".

Yes, it looks like lines 415-472 of src/import-export/ofx/gnc-ofx-import.c is what you want to #if 0 out.

Regards,
John Ralls