OFX Note Propagation

rlaggren rlaggren at mail.com
Thu Jul 28 20:31:08 EDT 2016

After searching archives I have found only this thread and it appears closely
related to a problem I have. I hope it's OK to bump the thread and keep the
topic consolidated.

I download OFX files from several banks in preference to jumping through
hoops and "signing up" for (and sometimes paying extra) for their live
accounting software updates. After importing I find that most/all of the
transactions have their "Note" field filled w/useless generic info starting
w/"OFX"; it even includes the word "generic". From the above discussion and
examination of the OFX files it appears the gnucash is doing this.

How do I stop this auto-fill of imported OFX file transactions? For me the
text contains zero useful info and causes useage problems.

The fill bothers me in a couple of ways: 1) By filling the double line
register listing w/clutter it makes it a joke as far as easily viewing
_relavant_ Info; 2) There seems to be info from the bank that appears in
some transactions (eg. source info for debit card and credit card trans) and
while apparently not over written, this info is pushed to the end of the
field and is not visible in the registry listing.

Is there any config files to adjust? Is there any easily located block of
code I could comment out, recompile and lose this Fill function of the
Import system? Cleaning up trash from  4 or 5 files (various different
accounts) of 10 - 100 items each month makes for serious "not-happy".

Thanks for all thoughts.

Rufus