feature request: hide empty discount column in Invoice reports automatically

David Beattie dvdbeattie at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 3 11:55:17 EDT 2016

Hi gnucash users and developers,
I'm not on the GnuCash development list because that one is extremely technical... but there's a chance this should be on that list.  If so, I apologize, but I also thought it would be nice for other "users" to think about my feature suggestion and chime in if it's widely desired.  And feel free to forward this to the "devel" list if you're a developer.  Thanks.
I use GnuCash for business invoicing constantly.  And I don't often give "discounts" to my customers.  But when I do (whether a dollar amount or a percentage), I like to show the "discount" column in the invoice so the customer can see what I gave them explicitly, rather than just inferring it from the discrepancy between units times price and the total for a row.  But in the normal case, this column would be all zeros and seem unnecessary, and could also raise unwanted questions with my everyday customers ("You give discounts? why didn't you give me one?").  So I have to turn on and off the discount column manually whenever I need it on or off.  So I would love it if this could be handled automatically--I could enable the discount column "permanently" but it would automatically hide itself when every line item on an invoice is at full price (has no discount).
The same question could come up with the "tax amount" column.  Would it be nice if the tax amount column could be turned on, but would auto-hide itself if there were no tax on any item?  I can see this being a more controversial suggestion.  In a business environment like mine, where my government requires value added taxes to be collected on goods (but not services), yet I provide services (and not goods), I simply hide the taxable and tax amount columns completely, and never show them.  But if someone provides both (services and goods), but only delivers taxable goods rarely, I can see an argument for auto-hiding the taxable / tax amount columns if they are all zeros on a particular invoice, yet showing them whenever needed.
Thanks a lot for listening, and possibly considering, this feature suggestion.  I'm sure it wouldn't be too had to reprogram the invoice reports to add this feature. :)
Best regards,
David Beattie