UK Flat Rate VAT

Stuart Walsh stu at ipng.org.uk
Mon Jun 6 06:32:44 EDT 2016

> On 4 Jun 2016, at 20:14, Wm <tcnw81 at tarrcity.demon.co.uk <mailto:tcnw81 at tarrcity.demon.co.uk>> wrote:
>
> HenryL has shown it can be done, but he was generating inv's ex gnc and I
> was presuming you were after the fun bit

Yeah, I’ve now worked out how to do it manually, using the method described.  This means that I have to work out by hand the VAT due, and the difference between full VAT and flat rate VAT, and enter these two values along with the Ex VAT amount on the invoice and they all get put in the right accounts.  This is fine, but I wonder if there’s a more automated way.

>> Is this even remotely possible using GNU cash?
>
> Yup.  I haven't tried this specific UK weirdness using the business bits of
> gnc yet but if you ask I'll have a go.  I think it'll work fine as a tax
> and I'm sure the accounting side will be clean.

I tried doing it as a tax, but because the flat rate VAT due is a percentage of the amount *including* tax, and I’m entering the amount excluding tax, I couldn’t work out how to do it.

>> I've had a go at trying to set it up, but I can't seem to find a way
>> to be able to automatically be able to post to an account based on the
>> total of an invoice (including tax).
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> What exactly?
>
> I happen do be doing some UK CIS work which may join in with what you are
> trying to do.

Just as above, a more automated way to do it.  I have a manual way which works but now I’m curious to see if it can be done.