Issues with Invoicing in 2.6.12 on Win 7-64

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Wed Jun 8 14:10:55 EDT 2016

On Tuesday 07 June 2016 14:08:01 Greg Feneis wrote:
> ​See my reply below...​
>

> Kind regards,
>
> Greg Feneis
>

> On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 3:53 AM, Geert Janssens
> <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be>
> wrote:
> > On Sunday 05 June 2016 12:57:20 Greg Feneis wrote:
> > > ​It didn't look like this made it to the list, so I'm re-sending.
> > >
> > > Hope it makes it this time.​
> >
> > It did make it to the list. However I didn't have time to answer
> > immediately and then forgot about it. I'll try now...

> > I'm not sure what effect the Taxable? column has exactly other than
> > enabling/disabling the tax related fields on the line.
> >

> > I don't think there's a way to disable it by default. As an
> > alternative have you tried to set the default tax table for your
> > customer(s) or the global default tax table to "None" ? That may
> > give you the same net effect on your invoices. Or perhaps not. In
> > that case please specify in more detail what is not working as it
> > should due to this column always being enabled.
>
> ​GF: When I'm done entering a line, I hit enter and a new line is
> created and the cursor is placed in the date field.  By default, the
> new line appears with an "X" in the Taxable? field.  I wish that by
> default, when a new line is created, the X is not there by default.​

I understood what your wish is. I also suggested an alternative approach to work around it. From
your reply I couldn't figure out whether you tried it and whether that was sufficient ? Sometimes
it takes a bit of creativity to work with gnucash...

Other than that I agree it's a user interaction anomaly and I don't know the motivation to
implement it as such. Perhaps Derek knows, but he may not be around right now.

<snip>

> ​GF: Whenever I start a new invoice, Some columns are so narrow that
> the column header isn't legible.  I imagine this is a safe default
> arrangement, because not everyone's screen is wide enough to allow
> all of the columns to be expanded enough to view the column headers.
> It would be great if when the column widths were adjusted, GC would
> remember these settings for all following invoices.

I believe these columns are made that narrow because they expect only one single character as
input (either an 'X' to enable/disable, or '$' vs '%' for the discount type, or '<', '=', '>' for
discount how). I presume setting the column widths for these columns to show the full title was
indeed considered a waste of space. And personally I still think it is.

> Now that I've described things more, it looks like I've come up with
> some features to request.  May I make an enhancement request?

Feel free to do so. Enhancement requests should go on our uservoice page:
https://gnucash.uservoice.com/forums/101223-feature-request

Make sure to enter one request per feature. You have suggested multiple in this mail.

Regards,

Geert