External Program

Aaron Laws dartme18 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 11 08:01:22 EDT 2016

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 11:00 PM, Mark Mercer <markm at woodjoint.ca> wrote:

> So yup, that fixed it!  So happy now.
>
> The only issue that comes to mind now is how do I make sure I don't
> generate duplicate guid's.  How does gnucash do it?  it cant be as simple
> as generate random ones and assume that the set is so large that there
> would never be a duplicate.

Yes, adding 'm' is unacceptable, but changing 'a' to 'b' is acceptable.

The guid generation has been changed in "master" from what it was in
"maint". The new implementation uses boost uuids. Their generation
strategies are summarized here:
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_59_0/libs/uuid/uuid.html#boost/uuid/uuid_generators.hpp
We use the random generator.

In short, yes, it is sufficient to generate a random one because the space
is quite large. (Reminds me of the early days of IPv4...)