Can I invent my own Slots?

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Fri Jun 17 10:15:44 EDT 2016

On Friday 17 June 2016 14:19:38 David Goodenough wrote:
> Gnucash seems to store a variety of things in key-value pairs known as
> slots.  Can I invent my own slot keywords and therefore add my own
> data into the GnuCash datastore in a way that GnuCash will be able to
> return to me later and will not cause problems to normal operations?
>
> Presumeably I should try to make sure my keywords are going to be
> unique to me and not likely to be used by GnuCash, say by starting
> them with my application name.
>
> David

The slots are an implementation detail, and are unfortunately not intended to be accessible
through the gnucash api.

In fact the next major version of gnucash will no longer have public functions to query or alter
them. And they are even likely to go away in the backend rewrite at some point altogether.

So I'd recommend to avoid manipulating slots for your own data as you may well lose it at
some point in the future.

Regards,

Geert