Issues with an Opening Balance in GnuCash

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Fri Jun 24 12:23:43 EDT 2016

On Friday 24 June 2016 11:54:37 David T. via gnucash-user wrote:
> John S.,
>
> The issue of automatic creation of splits to the Orphan-XXX accounts
> has been discussed at length over the years, without any consensus
> coming out of the discussions. I believe that the developers have
> generally felt that per transaction notification would be overly
> intrusive, and thus the option has not been implemented.

This is not really the motivation, at least not for me. I actually think it's a fair request to have
more control over this behavior as a user. It's just lower on my list priorities than other things
and my time is currently very limited.

There is a uservoice feature request concerning this (auto creation of splits in the Imbalance
accounts):
https://gnucash.uservoice.com/forums/101223-feature-request/suggestions/14280990-prevent-entry-of-transactions-with-an-imbalance

So far it hasn't gained much votes yet, so I looks it's also low priority for most users.

There are also several enhancement requests in this area on bugzilla. So it is being tracked but
someone will need to step up to actually implement the improvements.

Geert