Keep Search Results Open Across Restarts

John Morris johnjeff at editide.us
Wed Mar 2 17:05:15 EST 2016

Hi David,
  It would be great if it worked that way, but that does not seem to be the case. On both my machine with GnuCash 2.6.5 and my folks' machine with GnuCash 2.6.11, choosing Print Checks from the File menu when the checkbook register is forward prints only the selected transaction, regardless of what is in the Num field. Even if transaction is selected (the cursor is in the last row of the register where I can enter a new transaction), I just get a check for $0.00 with no payee. In contrast, if I have a search results frontmost, all the checks get printed.

  So, I must be doing something wrong, but I don't know what it is. I was following the instructions at http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-help/print-check.html. Following your directions, I don't have a "Print Checks" button in the toolbar. Should there be one? I would have assumed that the Print Checks item in the File menu would at least access the same subroutines, but I could be wrong. My and my folks' computers are 2014 MacBook Pros running Yosemite (10.10.5). Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "marked the transactions." I'm just putting the word "Print" in the Num field. Is there some other way I should mark them? Finally, I don't see any way to enter the "correct number for the first check" in the dialog that results from choosing Print Checks in the File menu, and I'm not sure why it matters because the check numbers are already printed on the blank checks. We do have to manually enter the check numbers into the correct transactions in GnuCash. It would be nice not to have to do that.

Best,
John