How to do bond amortization

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Mon Mar 7 07:41:23 EST 2016

On 3/7/2016 12:42 AM, Edward Doolittle wrote:
> I haven't looked at your example in detail, but in general, to switch from
> accounting on the seller side to the buyer side, you swap credits and
> debits, no?
Not necessarily in this case.

The problem is that "amortization" for the bond issuer is for
establishment of a "sinking fund" so as to be able to pay the bond back
at maturity.

Very different for the bond buyer. If the bond is bought at par (for the
face value) there is no amortization. Before maturity the bond pays
interest at the issued rate, and at maturity the entire face amount. The
"amortization" problem comes in if the bond is either bought at a
discount (for less than the face value) or at a premium (for more than
the face amount).

But for how to account for that, check the rules of your jurisdiction!
<< not a gnucash matter >>

For example, here in the US, you don't get to treat that (the gradual
convergence to the face value over time) as a return of principle.
Instead, it is considered as (you have to report as) INTEREST. In other
words, the effective interest rate you are getting can be more or less
than the issued rate. Remember, some bonds are issued as "discount
bonds". Those might even have NO issued rate (0% interest) but are sold
for a discount and the increases in value as the bond approaches
maturity are its effective interest. That's what is meant in financial
news reporting when they say that the interest rate of this or that
"Treasury" bond (the 3 mo, the ten year, the 30 yea, etc.) has gone up
or down. That is the effective rate (as opposed to any face rate) of the
bond were it held to maturity, given the current price of the bond. Thus
when the news says "Treasuries have fallen (in price)" that means the
interest rate has gone up and vice versa.

But note, you have not actually received this interest as money.
Instead, the debit side of the transaction is an increase in the asset
value of the bond held (and the credit side, interest income).

ALERT: I am NOT a tax accountant, not "qualified" to give advice about
something like this. Please either get professional accounting advice
and/or look the matter up in accounting texts (ones suited to your
jurisdictions). We who are telling folks how to do things with gnucash
aren't "qualified" to tell you WHAT you should be doing (as opposed to
HOW to do it once you know the WHAT).

Michael D Novack