Hayes re: I need a report

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Sat Mar 12 16:52:39 EST 2016

On 3/12/2016 3:26 PM, Katie Eldridge wrote:
> Hi Terri,
> Not a programmer either, but does it need to be a 'report'?
> You can get this information (as a list but not printable as far as I
> can see) from the find invoice dialog, using the search 'Is paid?' >
> is not > set true.
>
> If you do need a report, finding the code for that dialog will
> hopefully give a clue as to how to set up such a report...
Also remember, when you need a report, that does not NECESSARILY have to
be directly from gnucash (from within gnucash). As long as you can
create a report that HAS the necessary information, though not
structured the way that you need it, you create THAT report, export it,
then sort or otherwise extract and reformat.

Here the "aging" report was suggested. Yes, it would be grouping by age,
not grouping by customer. But as long as customer was part of the data
in the aging report, you could resort (say customer, date) to get what
you want. The issue then becomes what sorting routines you can access
(what operating system are you using? If a 'nix, your shell can
probably* do this, even putting in subtotaling at customer break.

Michael D Novack

* Well CAN do it. Any of the 'nix shells + the standard library of
utilities constitute a "complete" language. Perhaps not obvious because
few are familiar with "string processing" languages (languages where the
primitive data type is a string --- descendents of SNOBOL)

Michael D Novack