Multiple Files

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Tue Mar 15 04:55:48 EDT 2016

On Tuesday, 15 March 2016 00:02:46 GMT E Rosenberg wrote:
> Michael -
>
> Thanks.
>
> Big School..
>
> Let us say that it has three accounts, Maintenance, Tuition, Student
> Activities.

Hi Ethan.

Are these monies held in 3 distinct accounts held at a bank (or banks!), or
is there a notional single bank account, and the 3 accounts you
outline are "only on paper"?

> It wishes to see the accounting for each of the accounts and to have
> the accounts combined into one account.  It wishes tjo see Income,
> Expenses for all four accounts. accounts.

>From what I understand from your question, I think this is mostly a
question of how to configure the reports within a single GC data file - I
don't think you need subsidiary books or separate data files.

The exact nature of what you need to report from will depend on the
local tax laws etc. in your part of the world, and also what the school
management expect in terms of layout and so on, but this seems to me
to be well in the range of GC's capabilities, as you can configure (most)
reports to only consider a subset of asset/liability or income/expense
accounts, and further you can with some reports limit the transfer
accounts that are included.

You'll need to take professional help on the precise layout of accounts to
comply with local circumstances, but IMHO what you have described so
far isn't going to be complex once GC's chart of accounts is set up
accordingly.

HTH,
Maf.