Processing Payments?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 14:03:35 EDT 2016

John,

The problem is GnuCash has an invoice and a pre-payment. It does not know, until you tell it, that the pre-payment should be applied to any particular invoice.

You have three options:

In the A/R register, select and then right-click the Pre-payment.
Choose 'Assign as payment'
Select the appropriate invoice in the pop-up to apply the pre-payment to.

or

Either from within the invoice using the pay button, or using the Business > Customer > Process Payment option:

Select both the invoice and the pre-payment in the payment window.
Make sure your date is correct.
Balance will be zero if pre-paid in full.
Hit OK

Note, you will only end up with pre-payments if you enter them before posting your invoice, or without specifying an invoice when entering them. That's why you have to go back and apply them. If you really did not receive the payment (in your hands) before posting the invoice, then change your workflow to make sure your invoices are posted before entering the payments into GnuCash, and be sure to select the proper invoice when entering the payments. (never enter them directly into A/R either. Always use the Process Payment entry under the Business > Customer menu, or view the invoice and use the Pay button.)

Regards,

Adrien