Processing payments?

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Thu Mar 17 16:57:51 EDT 2016

On Thursday 17 March 2016 14:29:15 John Whitmore wrote:
> GnuCash has gotten itself confused and it's now confusing me. Actually
> it didn't really confuse itself it must really have been me that
> confused it.
>
> So I'm running a business and just tried to process a payment in
> GnuCash. I got offered the outstanding invoices and that's where I'm
> confused. I'm only starting out so the numbers are low here.
> Invoice-01 has been paid in full but the process payment window still
> offers me that invoice. It's best I recreate the window's contents.
> I'm running a plain text mail client so indentation will be out.
>
> Date      Number        Type        Debit     Credit
> 07/12/15  Invoice-001   Invoice     1,000
> 24/12/15                Pre-Payment           1,000
>
> The problem is that the payment on the 24/12/15 was for Invoice-001
> and I've looked at it and it's marked as being for that invoice but
> for some reason it's marked as "Pre-Payment" I've no idea where I put
> that but can't seem to edit it at all.

This happens when you unpost an invoice that has payments attached to it. The payment will
be marked as pre-payment and will stay so even after you repost the invoice.

> Anybody know how to I change that to get these two resolved?

Easy:
Select both at once in the payment window. The amount fields will turn to 0. Hit ok. That will
reassociate the payment with the invoice.

Regards,

Geert