How can I input opening balance on GNUCash mobile on Android?

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Mar 20 12:08:47 EDT 2016

> On Mar 19, 2016, at 8:06 PM, 森口晃宏 <ameniutaeba1978 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> On Mar 19, 2016, at 6:05 AM, Akihiro <ameniutaeba1978 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,I'm Japanese. So if I you don't understand my English, please let
>>> me
>>> know to correct my English and solve my problem.I'm quite new to both
>>> ledger
>>> entry and GNUCash.After getting accustomed to another book keeping app on
>>> Android to keep my daily money transferring,Now I'm trying to change to
>>> GNUCash.I followed instructions here, above around Figure D.
>>> http://www.techrepublic.com/article/gnucash-a-powerful-mobile-financial-tool-for-android/
>>> <http://www.techrepublic.com/article/gnucash-a-powerful-mobile-financial-tool-for-android/>
>>>
>>> But I think the instruction for inputting opening balances don't work.I
>>> also
>>> tried to export data with opening balance from GNUCash on mac into
>>> Android,
>>> but don't know how to import on Android side.If there are anybody use
>>> GNUCash mobile on Android, please tell me how to input opening balance on
>>> it.Any comment will be appreciated and thanks in advance.Akihiro
>>
>> Akihiro,
>>
>> Your English is fine.
>> You might find it useful to read our Tutorial and Concepts Guide at
>> http://www.gnucash.org/docs.phtml. There's even a Japanese translation, and
>> while it's a bit out of date most of it is still valid.
>>
>> Instructions for importing your data into the Android app are at
>> https://gnucash.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/741834-importing-gnucash-xml.
>> Ngewi provides support for GnuCash for Android at
>> https://plus.google.com/communities/104728406764752407046.
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls
>>

> Hi John,
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Now I found my misunderstanding on "Equity" which means "Property" or
> "Assets", not "Stock" or "Share" I had thought.
>
> Now I can input Opening Balances of my Current Assets with
> "Equity:Opening  Balances".
>
> Accounting English is different from my English understanding, but fun :-)
> Thank you.

Akihiro,

On GnuCash just create a transaction debiting the asset account and crediting Equity::Opening Balances. When you create a new account you'll notice an "Opening Balances" tab on the dialog box that will create the transaction for you if you fill it in.

Except for the new account dialog I'd expect the process would be the same on GnuCash for Android.

Regards,
John Ralls