Beginners question, confused between real bank accounts and gnucash accounts

nicolas severyns nicolasseveryns at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 17:51:50 EDT 2016

I chose for one Gnucash file, because I am a freelancer and am a physical
person with a VAT number, according to my national law (Belgium). As I work
from home, plenty of my expenses are private and business at the same time
(heating 30% business, 70% personal and so on). So I have to do transaction
splits all the time to be able to calculate the amount of VAT I have to pay
and the amount of tax deductions I am entitled to. Two Gnucash files would
make that unmanageable, as far is I understood.

I thought the only use of split transactions were of that order: to divide
a sum into smaller sums. I had never thought of the possibility to do a
multiple split with the same sum. I implemented it as you suggested:

Bank Personal                           100                     -
Business:Expenses:Salaries      100                     -
Bank:Company                            -                       100
Personal:Income:Salary          -                       100

and it works. But I don't really understand why it works. It looks more
like 200-200 than like 100-100 to me, but hey, I am a philologist. Gnucash
is challenging to me, but I have decided to come to terms with it. Thanks
for your quick and helpful replies.

Nicolas
ᐧ

Nicolas Severyns
Vertaler-tolk
contact at nicolasseveryns.be
www.nicolasseveryns.be
+32 (0)487 438 897
BTW: 0807.269.434

Abonneer je op mijn nieuwsbrief over Rusland:
http://tinyletter.com/nicolasseveryns