Unable to convert gnucash to mysql after upgrading to 16.04

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Sun May 1 08:55:05 EDT 2016

On 1 May 2016 at 13:49, Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1 May 2016 at 12:00, Abdd <andrea.beddoni at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am a long time gnucash user and after upgrading to ubuntu 16.04 I found
>> myself with a problem when trying to convert the xml version of the database
>> to the mysql version.
>>
>> I have originally set up the process of transforming the xml gnucash
>> database into a mysql database following the steps highlighted in  Online
>> Budget with Gnucash + MySQL + SSH
>> <http://linuxaria.com/howto/online-budget-with-gnucash-mysql-ssh>   or many
>> other similar posts.
>>
>> The process has been working seamlessly for a while but after upgrading to
>> 16.04 from 15.10 it stopped working. In particular now when I try to save to
>> the mysql version I am asked for the Keyring password. After providing the
>> password and hitting save I receive the following message `The server at URL
>> mysql://gnucash@localhost/gnucash experienced an error or encountered bad or
>> corrupt data.` I have also tried to repeat the process creating a test
>> database from a new gnucash xml file but with the same result.
>>
>> I have been unable to diagnose the problem or find a suitable solution
>> posted somewhere else.
>
> I have just discovered this myself, gnucash 2.6.12 on Ubuntu 16.04.  I
> have been using the beta version of 16.04 and it has been ok, but
> something has happened recently to make it stop working.
>
> Looking at the mysql log it writes some of the database before
> failing.  I am just about to generate a gnucash trace file to see if
> it provides more information.
>
> I believe that there was recently a major upgrade of mysql-server on
> 16.04. I am not sure but I suspect it went up to mysql 5.  I am
> wondering whether there is an incompatibility between gnucash and
> mysql 5.

Attache is the tracefile.  It starts
* 12:27:08  CRIT <gnc.backend.dbi> [mysql_error_fn()] DBI error: 1067:
Invalid default value for 'date'
* 12:27:08  CRIT <gnc.backend.dbi> [conn_create_table()] Error in
dbi_result_free() result
* 12:27:08  CRIT <gnc.backend.dbi> [mysql_error_fn()] DBI error: 1067:
Invalid default value for 'post_date'
* 12:27:08  CRIT <gnc.backend.dbi> [conn_create_table()] Error in
dbi_result_free() result

and goes downhill from there.

Colin