Reports crashing

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Sun May 1 15:16:26 EDT 2016

On Sat, Apr 30, 2016 at 10:22 PM, Bernd Jansons <bernd at berndjansons.com>
wrote:

> I've been using gnucash for years ... successfully. My current version is
> 2.6.12 build 18/04/2016. It was running fine under Ubuntu 14.04. Once I
> upgraded to Ubuntu 16.04, reports no longer work ... any/all reports. A
> report request causes the screen to dim for several minutes then gnucash
> closes ... presumably having crashed. There are no error messages. I have
> completely removed the app and reinstalled it ... same result. I am also
> running the exact same configuration on another machine and everything
> works fine (Ubuntu 16.04 + gnucash 2.6.12). I was reasonably confident
> there would be others with the same problem but I can't find anything on
> the Internet. Can anyone help? I need gnucash for my business and I need to
> generate reports, particularly transcation reports, income statements and
> tax invoices.

If you were using the Ubuntu-supplied GnuCash 2.6.1 that was included in
Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, then you are bumping in the Guile Cache bug that was
fixed in later versions.

Here's the text from the front page of the GnuCash.org web site (I got this
from the 2.6.12 release announcement):

Important update notification
> If you are updating from gnucash 2.6.0-2.6.4 on linux, you are advised to
> remove the guile user cache or several parts of gnucash may fail to work
> properly. This user cache can be found in .cache/guile/ccache/2.0-LE-8-2.0/
> in your home directory. It's safe to remove the whole contents of this
> directory.
> Note .cache is a hidden folder in your home directory. You may have to
> change your file manager's settings in order to view hidden files and
> folders.

If the procedure above doesn't fix it, you will want to see the error
messages. The easiest way is to open a terminal and start the application
using the gnucash command.

(For some reason, when you turn OFF the "send crash notices to Canonical"
option under Ubuntu's system settings, the system doesn't display any
application crash notices at all. You don't HAVE to allow the system to
send the notices to Canonical's bug tracker even when they appear, so I
usually turn that option on, even when I'm not going to send them.)