Projected Balances?

Don Ireland gnucash at donireland.com
Sun May 1 16:18:20 EDT 2016

On May 1, 2016 2:34:06 PM CDT, Tommy Trussell <tommy.trussell at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Sun, May 1, 2016 at 10:26 AM, Don Ireland <gnucash at donireland.com>
>wrote:
>
>> I see how to enter Scheduled Transactions but I'm having trouble
>finding a
>> way to have it tell me projected balances.
>>
>> Ideally, I'd like to pick a future date and see the running balances
>for
>> each transaction up to and including that date just like I would if
>they
>> were actually entered.
>>
>> Is this not possible or am I missing something?

>You aren't missing anything -- it's not there. The transactions don't
>exist
>in your accounts until they've been created. You can even create a
>scheduled transaction without an amount -- you can put variables in the
>register and the "Since Last Run" dialog will prompt to fill in the
>amounts, for instance.
>
>If you already know the transaction amounts and you merely want to keep
>sufficient balances, you could go ahead and enter future-dated
>transactions
>into the register. Or you could schedule future-dated scheduled
>transactions a month (or however long) in advance so you don't have to
>enter them all at once.
>

>> -----

That's one part of Quicken that I used almost as much as actually entering transactions.  I used it to to look ahead to ensure that I maintain sufficient funds.  It allowed me to see that in about six months, I'm going to have a shortfall of around $x and plan accordingly by reducing my miscellaneous spending between now and then.

But I don't want to add future dated transactions because that would potentially cause lots of problems on its own (just two examples):

1) what happens when the rent goes up?
2) I trade in my car for a different one.  All the future dated car payments need to be deleted - - sure hope one doesn't get missed - - and new future dated car payments need entered.

If GC were to "pretend" that today is actually xx days on the future and show me what the balances would be (since my scheduled transactions are all set up for auto entry), that would get the job done.
Don Ireland