Projected Balances?

Edward Doolittle edward.doolittle at gmail.com
Wed May 4 15:19:17 EDT 2016

I have future transactions added to my main chequing account by the GnuCash
scheduler 366 days in advance. There are at least two advantages to setting
it up that way. First, it allows me to anticipate cash flow problems weeks
or months in advance. Second, it allows me to keep an eye on my net assets
for the year. I get a fairly accurate estimate of my net assets for the end
of the year on January 1, and I get a good idea of how unanticipated
changes (e.g., investment gains or losses; unanticipated expenses) affect
my net assets.

The disadvantage is as you have noted: changes in the amount of a
transaction (rent, salary, insurance, etc.) cause inaccuracies which
increase as look-ahead time grows.

I wish that there were a facility for simple editing of a series of future
scheduled transactions that have been added to the account. But there is no
such facility (that I can find). Once the scheduler has placed a
transaction in the account, the scheduler can't edit it.

I have developed a number of work-arounds for this problem. I hope you find
them useful:

0) For simple transactions like insurance, I don't mind editing 12
incorrect transactions by hand when my insurance premiums change. But that
would be rather more annoying with complicated transactions like my pay
cheque with multiple splits.

1) Sometimes I leave the incorrect items that are three or more months in
the future alone, and recognize that the accuracy of my projections
decreases beyond the two month mark. For incorrect items that are one or
two months in the future, I simply duplicate a correct transaction from the
previous month, and delete the incorrect future transaction.

I do that with my pay. My Canada Pension Plan payments cease part way
through the year; in addition, my employment contract stipulates occasional
pay raises. So I have a scheduled transaction that under-estimates my net
pay but includes all the splits that I anticipate. Periodically I manually
correct the incorrect future transactions by just deleting them and copying
(duplicating) a more correct past transaction in their place. I then make
any additional corrections by hand. I have to hand-edit my pay only about
three or four times per year.

2) The above process can be automated in the following manner. Set up three
scheduled transactions. The first is your estimate, which is scheduled 366
days (or whatever) in advance. You should under-estimate income and
over-estimate expenses. The second transaction is the accurate transaction,
which is scheduled only one month in advance. The third transaction is a
reversing transaction for the first, which is also scheduled only one month
in advance. Then when your rent changes, say, you only have to change the
second scheduled transaction. If things get too far out of whack, you can
change the first and third scheduled transactions, but the third must
always reverse the first.

You will have a number of fake transactions above the blue line, but you
will always have the reversing transactions also, so the net effect on your
books will be nil. However, if you wish you can clean things up by removing
both the fake transaction and its reversing transaction whenever the two
are paired.

It's a bit kludgy, but it works for me.

It would be nicer if future transactions added by the scheduler could be
edited in one shot. In fact, editing such transactions wouldn't even be
necessary if the scheduler could delete them and create the edited
transactions in their place. That would be a nice feature request, if it
isn't one already. In the meantime, I'm happy enough with the systems I
have in place. With creative use of duplicate and reversing transactions,
it's usually less work than, say, sending an e-mail to the mailing list.

Edward