GnuCash Not Happy With External File Renaming

Ron Westfall westfall at shaw.ca
Sun May 1 17:28:07 EDT 2016

On 2016-05-01 1:50 PM, Colin Law wrote:
> That should only happen once of course, as the next time you open GC
> it will re-open the one you used last time. That is unless you keep
> renaming the file which I assume you are not. Also, if you do want to
> change the name of the file, you can use File
>> Save As and save it as the new name.  That does leave the old file
> still there though.
>
> Colin

The reason I ran into and continue to experience this problem is that I
have two GnuCash files.  One is the stable file and the other is the
experimental file.  I experiment with newly learned features and figure
out how they apply to my situation in the experimental file.  Once I
have settled on how I am going to do something, I set it up in the
stable file.  Once I finish a particular experiment, I delete the
experimental file and eventually recreate it from the updated stable
file.  Because of this problem, I have to leave both files around, so I
run the risk of making changes to the wrong file.

I was originally only using one file, but then I started working with
invoices.  Because invoices can not be deleted, I did not want garbage
experimental invoices cluttering up my file.  If I get back to a point
where I am only working with features where changes can be fully backed
out, I will revert to using one file.

Ron