GnuCash Not Happy With External File Renaming

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Sun May 1 22:07:58 EDT 2016

On 5/1/2016 5:28 PM, Ron Westfall wrote:
> On 2016-05-01 1:50 PM, Colin Law wrote:
>>
> The reason I ran into and continue to experience this problem is that
> I have two GnuCash files.  One is the stable file and the other is the
> experimental file.  I experiment with newly learned features and
> figure out how they apply to my situation in the experimental file.
> Once I have settled on how I am going to do something, I set it up in
> the stable file.  Once I finish a particular experiment, I delete the
> experimental file and eventually recreate it from the updated stable
> file.  Because of this problem, I have to leave both files around, so
> I run the risk of making changes to the wrong file.

Well I can tell you how I would handle this problem (the risk of being
in the wrong set of books).

For me that would be the USUAL situation since I am keeping books for
more than one entity and there is no good reason to suppose that the set
of books I want to open now is the same as the last I had open. In fact,
more likely than not, it wouldn't be. So I simply don't use the feature
"come up with the last one open". In other words, I use gnucash "no
file" and so always get to (have to) explicitly tell gnucash which file
I want to open.

Remember, gnucash will present you with a list of the last four, so
unless you are keeping more than four it's just a matter of selecting
from that menu.

Look up how to supply the "no file" run time parameter.

Michael D Novack