A newbie Q - Buying back liability at a discount

Suresh Bazaj suresh at bazaj.org
Tue May 10 18:27:58 EDT 2016

Hello Buddha (The wise one :),

	Thanks for the quick response. Though I get confused (just as Lewis)
with the traditional accounting terminology,	fortunately the default
column labels in GNUcash are Increase & Decrease. So, I avoid the whole
credit/debit terminology.

	I entered it as a split transaction in the Liability account:
-	The first entry decreases the liability by the full $1,500
-	The second entry is for $1,300 increase in ST Capital Gain
-	The third entry is for $200 in the checking account. It shows as
increase in the Liability account and as decease in the checking account.

	I don't really understand the meaning of $200 shown as increase in
the Liability account, but as long it shows correctly in the checking
account, I am happy :).

Best,

Suresh