making a functional invoice

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Wed May 11 14:25:49 EDT 2016

On Wednesday 11 May 2016 11:55:51 Wendell wrote:
> Hello All,
> The attached invoice is from Libre Office in Ubuntu.
> I am trying to get the formulas into the GNU invoice to do the same
> calculations as in the attached.
>
> Is there a way of amending the GNU invoice to do this? It calculates
> shipping costs and the various duty costs, including sales tax on
> everything.
>
> Does anyone think that this is possible?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Wendell
> --

Hi Wendell,

I don't think you can get exactly the invoice you present here.

Your single line in the invoice contains several costs  (the cost of the computer and the cost of
freight) and calculations based on those two. GnuCash only tracks one cost per line in the form
(amount x unit price = total amount, with tax either in- or excluded).

You could split your line into two separate ones, one for the computer and one for the freight.
>From there you can probably reconstruct most tax calculation formulas via tax tables in
GnuCash.

However that won't replace the conditionals you have added in the formula to calculate the
freight cost based on the weight. The only option I see there is to manually enter freight
yourself. GnuCash doesn't have a way to choose a freight cost based on the weight of the
package.

Customs clearing seems to be the total tax amount on your invoice, which normally appears on
the invoice. You can also make the individual taxes appear via the invoice report options. I
don't know if you can make that appear for each indiviual line though. Perhaps it's only the tax
summary that can display individual taxes.

Lastly, it's unusual that the cost of your computer is not included in the total invoice amount. If
that really is the way invoices are created in your country, that again is something not possible
with the invoice reports included in gnucash. If that's required you'll have to tweak one of the
existing reports. They are written in the guile programming language.

Regards,

Geert