how to combine scheduled transactions and online banking data?

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Fri May 13 08:30:40 EDT 2016

When you import into gnuCash, you have the option to match incoming data with existing transactions.
Reconciling is a separate process in which you compare your books with what the bank says.
HTH,David

  On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 3:55, Valentin<gnucash at inktrap.org> wrote:   Hello all,

I would like to know how I could combine scheduled transactions and my
online banking data. I already posted my problem on stackoverflow [0],
but
for completeness' sake, here it is again:

I don't know how to combine scheduled transactions and banking data in
practice. What I have done already:

    - I am fairly new to accounting, but have read Accounting for
      Computer Scientists [1], so I know the basics.

    - I already used gnucash for a while and entered all my expenses and
      income. Now I want to automate things (starting from scratch).

    - I have some scheduled transactions, f.e. rent and the rent is
      substracted from my checking account each month. So I would like
      to create the transaction via gnucash's scheduled transactions
      functionality and confirm that the payment happened via the
      checking account data. That means I could plan ahead via scheduled
      transactions and can verify some transactions of my banking
      account. That is known as reconciliation. [2]

My problem is: I don't know how to combine the two. Can I match
scheduled transactions to be confirmed by imported data? How should the
account structure be for this?

A scheduled transaction, like rent

    - decreases my checking account
    - increases my rent account

and is unconfirmed. During reconciliation I would like to import my
banking data, but this would also decrease my checking account and
increase my rent account; the scheduled transaction has already been
created.

I think I don't get some part of the reconciliation or import process.

[0]
<https://money.stackexchange.com/questions/63840/gnucash-how-to-combine-scheduled-transactions-and-online-banking-data>
[1]
<http://martin.kleppmann.com/2011/03/07/accounting-for-computer-scientists.html>