how to combine scheduled transactions and online banking data?

Wes Metz wes704 at gmail.com
Sun May 15 09:32:57 EDT 2016

I do not have much experience with downloading bank transactions but I know
how downloading credit card transactions works, and I do have
numerous scheduled, credit card transactions.

First, downloading and confirming transactions, and reconciliation are two
different processes.

When I download transactions, using OFX, the gnucash interface suggests how
each transaction will be processed in gnucash and allows me to intervene if
necessary. In most cases, the interface identifies transactions that are
already entered into gnucash (either manually or by schedule) and indicates
that the transaction will be confirmed. If not, I change that in the
interface. It also suggests the expense category for the transaction. If it
is missing or incorrect, I change it (this is a learning process for
gnucash so that future transactions will be handled the same way). After
verifying the data to be downloaded, I execute it. After the download is
complete, the transaction status in the "R" column, for previously entered
transactions, changes from 'n' (not confirmed) to 'c' (confirmed).

Afterwards, I reconcile the account. When reconciliation is complete, the
"R" column status changes to 'y' (reconciled).

Hope this helps.