what should I use as a starting balance?

Aaron Laws dartme18 at gmail.com
Fri May 13 09:50:19 EDT 2016

> On 12 May 2016 at 21:42, gvhorwitz <gvhorwitz at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've just set up gnucash and I /know/ I have a lot to learn boy oh boy
> do I.
> > However, when I start setting up gnucash with my checking account, which
> > I've had for several years. My question is what do I use for a starting
> > balance?
> >
> > I'm sure it's obvious, but hopefully I don't need to go all the way to
> the
> > year I opened the account.

There is no need to go back to the opening of the account. I trust you
already have your checking account created. When setting an opening
balance, there is a special transaction used to put money into the account
(or take money out for a negative balance :-o). GNU Cash uses double-entry
accounting, so money always moves rather than coming ex nihilo (not really,
but I'll use this for a working assumption).

The opening balance transaction should move money from the "Opening
Balances" account to "Checking". To learn more about "Opening Balances",
double-entry accounting, and so much more, read the GNU Cash User Guide.

Happy accounting!