Problem printing checks

David Reiser dbreiser at icloud.com
Fri May 20 21:56:59 EDT 2016

What’s “way too low”? And is the second check half that much too low?

You might want to measure your check heights too. I just discovered that my 3-to-a-page wallet checks are not all the same height. They are 202, 206, and 203 points high. I print about 5 checks per year, so I hadn’t played with multiple checks per page since they added it to gnucash a while back.

If you find the quicken_wallet.chk file, open it with a text editor, modify the Height = 204.0 line, you’ll change the ‘gap’ between first, second, and third checks. I found that setting Height = 200.0 gives me much better results on the third check than the default 204.0.

In case you’re interested, wallet checks are ‘supposed’ to be 2 and 5/6 inches tall — based on the days when typewriters were in use and had a fixed 6 lines per inch vertical spacing. 2 and 5/6 inches x 72 points/inch = 204.0 points high. The fact that 200.0 works so much better suggests to me that there are one or more rounding errors in the page layout code for multiple forms/page cases.
--
Dave Reiser
dbreiser at icloud.com