Problem printing checks

John Morris johnjeff at editide.us
Fri May 20 21:24:54 EDT 2016

I don't use the check-printing features myself as I prefer to use electronic payments wherever I can. However, I did have to help my folks get this working when I migrated them from Quicken this year. As I recall, it was not difficult to create my own check definition that fit their checks (also from Intuit, but without the stub).

  I had to create a reasonably named file with chk as the extension and store it in the checks folder inside GnuCash's settings folder (~/Library/Application Support/GnuCash on my MacBook Pro). I then filled that file with the check definition. It's short enough that it should not hurt anything to paste it here:

[Top]
Guid=689b886d28e8e8bef4ef9042e1d3b8ec
Title=Intuit Checks
Show_Grid=false
Show_Boxes=false
Rotation=0
Translation=0;0;

[Check Positions]
Height = 252.0
Names = Top;Middle;Bottom

[Check Items]
Type_1=PAYEE
Coords_1=72;108;
Type_2=DATE
Coords_2=504;72;
Type_3=AMOUNT_WORDS
Coords_3=36;131.40000000000001;
Type_4=AMOUNT_NUMBER
Coords_4=504;108;
Type_5=ADDRESS
Coords_5=720;0;
Type_6=NOTES
Coords_6=54;207;
Type_7=MEMO
Coords_7=720;0;
Type_8=SPLITS_AMOUNT
Coords_8=720;0;
Type_9=SPLITS_MEMO
Coords_9=720;0;
Type_10=SPLITS_ACCOUNT
Coords_10=720;0;

  This is mostly copied from elsewhere (I don't recall the source), but the obvious changes are the lines that start with "Coords" and end with two numbers. I do recall that I had to add the "Names" field so I could tell it to print the top, middle, or bottom check. However, I later found that this was not necessary: Since the checks my folks use are horizontal on the portrait page, the checks go through equally well whether there is one, two or three checks on the page. They just have to tell GnuCash how many checks are on the first page if they are printing a few.

  The problem I'm still having with check printing is that the directions in the wiki are not accurate for recent versions of GnuCash. I have not been able to print more than one check directly from the checkbook register. I can do it by executing a Find, but that is a bit too complicated for my folks. Fortunately, they don't mind printing one check at a time.

Best,
John