Problem printing checks

David Reiser dbreiser at icloud.com
Sat May 21 00:33:38 EDT 2016

> On May 21, 2016, at 12:05 AM, Isaac Wingfield <isw at witzend.com> wrote:
>

> On May 20, 2016, at 8:55 PM, David Reiser <dbreiser at icloud.com> wrote:

>>> The third check prints about where a fourth would be, if there were four checks on the page.

>>> No. The second check is properly placed.

>>> I did that to get checks 1 and 2 properly positioned. Check 3 is way too low.
>>
>> That’s way more pathological than anything I’ve seen. Sounds like somehow the page layout has created an additional grid.
>
> That's what I think too. But I don't know where it is located, or how to fix it if I could find it.
>
>> Any other changes to the .chk file? Still have only one Height line?
>
> No, and yes. I did a lot of jiggering around with the .chk file, to get the data to align well with the pre-printed checks, so I'm pretty familiar with what's in it.
>
> FWIW, my "fix" is to print the first two checks on a three-check sheet and then change to another .chk file and run the sheet through again to print the third check *as check #1* with a large value for "Translation" to position it where the third check is located on the page. Works, but requires two printer passes, which makes it error-prone.

Have you tried the Check Position pop-up in the Print Check dialog to select “Bottom” without the large translation? That selection might only appear if you’re printing one check from the full register rather than a found set. But if you’re only printing one check, it should work.

I generally only print one check at a time, so I tear off the one I’ve printed, and then pretend I’m printing at the top of a full page the next time. All the ink jet and laser printers I’ve had have no problem feeding the partial sheet. The third trip through a laser does sometimes leave a slight gray tinge on the check, though.

> That does tell me (I think) that the actual problem is in the routine that figures out where the third check goes. That might also explain the offset second grid, too ...
>
> Isaac

If you’ve made a lot of changes to the .chk file, I’d be concerned that some change kicked the renderer into creating a second origin.

Dave