Importing invoices needing currency conversion as "posted" has issue

yary not.com at gmail.com
Tue May 24 15:01:59 EDT 2016

I'm loading an invoice history to GnuCash 2.6.12, and have found a
less-than-awesome handling of invoices with "foreign" customers if they are
being imported as "posted" to accounts with "domestic" currencies. Here is
an example imported invoice:

CINV-053,,CUS-01-GBP,,Sonia's Song-Paperback,1/2/2016,Sonia's
Song-Paperback,,Income:Sales:Product
Sales,2,12.41,,,,,,,1/2/2016,1/2/2016,Assets:Accounts Receivable:Accounts
Receivable:A/R GBP-Trade,,yes

"CUS-01-GBP" is a customer who is invoiced in GBP (and, conceptually, who
pays in GBP, even though it is converted to USD at the time of payment). My
business & most of my accounts, such as the "Product Sales" account, are in
USD.

The invoice imports with the correct fields, and an invoice report will
show a posting date 1/2/2016. => But if I open the invoice in a tab, it
shows as un-posted. Clicking "Post" asks for a currency conversion to USD,
and I give it, and there's no error, and yet it doesn't post. <=

This is for a very small business that has some sales to international
customers who are billed in their own currencies, thanks to the web-based
marketplace it sells on.

I found two work-arounds: I can import as not-posted, and then post them
manually (entering in conversion rates), and then it posts correctly. Or I
can both create foreign-currency A/R and Sales sub-accounts, and import all
invoices as "posted" to those correctly. Thus I don't need a "fix" for
this, just wanted to report the apparent bug => importing invoices as
"posted" that need currency conversion creates un-postable invoices.

-y