Bug?

Aaron Laws dartme18 at gmail.com
Wed May 25 10:26:05 EDT 2016

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 10:19 AM, Jacqueline Greenleaf <
jacque at book-woman.net> wrote:

> New user here, I don’t know whether the behavior I’m seeing is a bug or
> something I’m doing wrong.
>
> I set up a new file, storing it on my desktop, and starting working with
> it. Every time I manually save, I wind up with a new gnucash icon/file on
> my desktop, plus some assorted text dos with the extensions .log and .lck
> scattered around.

Not a bug. The .log files help you recover information in case you save
information you didn't want to save or forget to save (I think). They
contain all (or most of?) the actions you took so that you can undo them or
redo them if you need to. I think this undoing or redoing can be automated,
too. Sorry for my vagueness; I've never had the pleasure of using the .log
files. I think the .lck file helps you make sure you only open the books in
one instance of gnucash at a time. If you open the books in multiple
instances at the same time and take action on the books, it is almost
certain that data corruption will occur.

Is this expected behavior? Does the program really expect me to, every time
> I manually save, to manually delete the older icons? What about the
> assorted text files?

Check for a setting that tells how many log files to keep, or perhaps how
long to keep them. I think it's not ordinary to store you .gnucash file on
your desktop; perhaps you can tuck it away somewhere that these .log files
won't bother you? If I remember correctly, it's not currently possible to
make gnucash stop saving these log files.